Sunday, May 20, 2007

Yankees Looking to Void Giambi's Deal?

According to the New York Daily News, Jason Giambi's admission in a USA Today interview that he used steroids may lead the Yankees to again look into voiding his contract. Giambi is owed $21 million each in 2007 and 2008, with a $22 million team option for 2009. The team option holds a $5 million buyout.

With the Yanks on the hook for at least a guaranteed $47 million over the next two years, I guess it would be prudent to explore this option. I don't know how successful they will be, however. I would imagine the players' union would have a small problem with the idea. Also, I know the Yankees are trying to stray from the seven billion dollar payroll thing, which is fine, but I don't think they will find a 1B/DH option of Doug Mientkiewicz and Josh Phelps conducive to winning championships. And we all know how George likes his rings.

Also:

No comments: