Thursday, June 28, 2007

I Love Junior Griffey

A couple of good pieces on Ken Griffey Jr. over the past couple days sparked this emo passage to pass the time while at work.

My first brush with materialism came in the fourth grade, when I wanted nothing more than a $100 pair of Ken Griffey Junior's shoes for school that year. I begged and pleaded, but to no avail. I think I ended up with a pair of Grant Hill FILAs.

A die-hard Tigers fan, I received a green Seattle Mariners hat for my birthday that year, immediately turned it backward on my head and went outside to emulate Griffey's swing in a sandlot baseball game.

"The Kid" remains one of my favorite players to this day, and its evident that baseball fans across America feel the same way. He's a guy who should have gone down as the greatest to ever play the game. Furthermore, he would have done it without the assistance of performance enhancing drugs. The injuries are tragic, for sure, but it's nice to see the rest of the country appreciating Griffey as he deserves to be appreciated.

No comments: